Do you want work want to work while you study? ….. Help your relation or spouse get a work permit, and work temporarily or permanently in Canada after your graduation as a foreign student. In this article, you will find details on all you need to know about Canada’s work permit, process, and requirements or eligibility criteria for applying.
However, before going into details on the application process and requirements let’s take a look at what a Canada work permit is all about…..
Canada work permit or work visa refers to the permission to take a job in Canada if you are from another country. Mostly, foreigners need a work permit to work in Canada, while some can work without it. It is issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program [TFWP] by Canada Immigration and Citizenship.
It’s of two types; an Employer-specific work permit and Openwork permit.
Employer-specific work permit
This type of work permit lets you work in Canada in agreement with the conditions on your work permit, such as;
- The name of the specific employer you can work for
- The duration you can work
- The location you can work
The employer who wants to hire you must complete certain processes and give you either an offer of employment number or a copy of a Labor Market Impact Assessment to include in your application before submitting it for an employer-specific work permit.
With an open work permit, you can work for any employer in Canada, except for one that; is considered ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the terms and conditions. You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.
Eligibility Requirements For Applicants
To be eligible, there are specific requirements you need to meet depending on your location [port of entry, inside or outside of Canada] when applying for your work permit.
But these are the general eligibility requirements for all applicants regardless of your location or the type of work permit you apply for;
- You must prove that you have enough money to take care of yourself during your stay in Canada. This can be informed of banknotes, assets, etc.
- You must prove that will leave Canada and return to your home country once your work permit expires. It can be in the form informing of an air ticket back to your country.
- You may be asked to provide a police clearance certificate to prove you have no criminal record.
- Take a medical exam to prove you are in good health if needed.
- Provide the necessary documents requested to prove your eligibility to enter the country.
- You must not plan to work for an employer with an ineligible status in the list of employers that failed to comply with the conditions.
Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada
- You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if
- you have a valid study or work permit;
- your spouse, common-law partner, or parents have a valid study or work permit;
- you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid;
- you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
- you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada;
you claimed refugee protection;
- you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada;
- you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee, or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada at a port of entry
- You should apply for your work permit before you travel to Canada.
- However, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you’re eligible.
- To apply at a port of entry (POE), you must meet all of the following:
- be eligible for an electronic travel authorization or to travel without a visitor visa (find out if you need a visa)
meet other requirements depending on the type of work permit you’re applying for.
How To Apply For Canada Work Permit or Work visa
Most applicants now need to apply for their work permit online due to COVID-19 through their official website. However, here are the basic steps to getting a temporary Canada work permit:
- The employer applies for Labor Market Impact Assessment
- The employer sends a quick job offer
- A foreign worker applies for a work permit
- A work permit is issued
Labor Market Impact Assessments
In most cases, the applicant will need to qualify for Labor Market Impact Assessment [LMIA], before applying for a Canadian work permit. The LMIA is a document an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. It will indicate that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job vacancy. Therefore, it serves as a confirmation letter.
Temporary Job Offer
The foreign worker receives a copy of the LMIA and a detailed job offer letter from the employer. However, the job offer letter must include the following;
- The job title for the position
- Job description
- Start and end date details
- Salary details specification
- Requirements for the position
- The name and address of the employer
The employer can send the temporary job offer to the foreign worker once the LMIA has been granted. The Canadian service agency will make that the job offer is legit and real, which will be confirmed through the LMIA by the Canadian immigration department.
Application For Work Permit
However, after the LMIA and job offer letter have been taken care of, you as the applicant can now apply for Canada temporary work permit. Applicants from a certain country will have to undergo medical tests due to COVID-19.
If you’re applying for a work permit, and your family members want to come to Canada, they must also apply to visit or work or study in Canada. They can apply at the same time as you.
Options for your spouse or common-law partner
If they plan to work in Canada
In some cases, your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit that will let them work for any employer.
If they’re not eligible for an open work permit as your spouse or common-law partner, they must be eligible for another type of work permit. This could include their employer getting a labor market impact assessment.
If they don’t plan to work in Canada
If your spouse or common-law partner doesn’t plan to work, they may apply to come to Canada with you as either a;
Issuance Of Canada Work Permit
You will receive the Canada work permit at the port of entry once you arrive in Canada
What Happens After You Apply
This is what happens after you apply;
- You must provide your biometric details and fingerprints if you are outside Canada.
- Your article will be cross-checked to ensure that you have the necessary documents, which will be returned if incomplete.
- You will receive an approval letter if your work permit application is approved. This letter serves as an introduction letter that you bring to the port of entry where you will get your work permit the day you arrive in Canada.
What Happens When You Arrive In Canada
When you arrive in Canada, you will have to go through some processes before granting free passage. These processes include;
- Your identity will be cross-checked to confirm that you are the same person that got approval to travel to Canada.
- You must present your documents to prove that your work permit was approved. You do this by showing the officer the approval letter you got after your application.
- Other documents such as your passport, visa, and other traveling documents like air tickets, etc. may also be required.
- You may also need to present a copy of your LMIA if required.
- Your original work permit will be printed and given to you once the officer confirms that you are eligible to enter Canada.